Staff Attorney–Veterans Legal Helpline
This is a professional position involving the delivery of high-quality legal advice, counseling and brief services as a licensed attorney. It requires excellent client interviewing skills, substantial knowledge of a broad range of poverty law issues, including but not limited to family law, landlord-tenant, and public benefits, and the ability to give accurate legal advice to clients during their initial intake. This position works primarily out of the Bay Area Legal office in Ybor City.
- Perform high volume client intake and interviews over the telephone, confirming applicant eligibility determinations and evaluating the complexity of each client's legal problem.
- Provide immediate legal advice, counseling and brief services to clients, including the preparation of appropriate confirming letters and any necessary self-help attachments.
- Refer clients with non-legal problems to appropriate social service agencies, and those with complex advocacy issues or who have problems requiring litigation to full-service teams or branch offices.
- Use a computerized system for accurate recording of client information such as case notes, case management, and referrals.
- Participate in outreach and other appropriate community and statewide activities to support and promote the Florida Veterans Legal Helpline and its services.
- Supervise Paralegals, Intake Specialists, and other personnel as directed by the Veterans Legal Helpline Manager.
- Assist the Veterans Legal Helpline Manager in preparing statistical reports.
- Assist in developing and updating appropriate legal advice and brief services letters, legal instructional materials, and other written materials as requested by the Veterans Legal Helpline Manager.
- Florida Bar licensure and active practice of law as a Bar member in Florida for at least two years.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely and cooperatively with other team members.
- Demonstrated ability to interview clients to determine essential facts with regard to the nature and severity of their legal problems.
- Demonstrated ability to accept major responsibility and to work effectively in an independent but closely supervised environment.
- Familiarity and experience with poverty law issues, including but not limited to family law, landlord-tenant, and public benefits.
- Familiarity and experience working with a wide range of social service agencies.
- Internet, e-mail, and word processing experience in a Windows-based environment is highly preferred.
- Prior experience working with the veteran population and/or prior military service are also preferred.
- $51,010 (depending upon experience), excellent benefits, and mileage reimbursement for travel.
How to Apply
- Send resume and cover letter to HRresumes@bals.org. Please include "Staff Attorney–Veterans Legal Helpline" in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.