Communications Specialist (Full-time)
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a full-time Communications Specialist position in its Ybor City office.
The Communications Specialist will develop captivating content and execute impactful messaging targeted at Bay Area’s key stakeholders. This individual works within the Marketing & Development Department to bring life and voice to our brand by telling powerful stories that highlight the organization as a vital client/community resource with significant community impact. Reporting to the Development Director and working with Bay Area Legal staff and volunteer leadership— the Board of Directors & Development Council, the position will be responsible for the development and daily execution of Bay Area Legal Services communications strategy including creating social media posts, graphics, email marketing, and other requests. The Communications specialist will implement, and maintain comprehensive communications agendas that utilize the organization’s mission branding, and messaging to tell its story, generate interest in Bay Area Legal, and ultimately create compelling “calls to action” generate revenue and other resources to support the organization. This position will assist staff members with communications materials that support Development related campaigns. This position will also help manage the Development related sections of Bay Area’s website. This is an ideal role for a creative and media-savvy individual who enjoys translating legal topics & client cases into stories that both inform and entertain. In addition, the candidate will have an eye for design, attention to detail and be able to maintain consistency with brand standards. The position will develop a clear vision of marketing growth and strategic communication that will result in increased awareness of Bay Area Legal, increased volunteer/client engagement, and increased funding from individuals and corporations.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the four core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
1302 N 19th Street
Tampa, FL 33605
- Maintain and Produce Outreach Communications
- In conjunction with the Development Team and program staff, produce flyers, brochures, press releases and donor communications. Ensure style consistency and integrity of the brand in collateral materials. Interview clients as necessary and produce client stories. Catalogue stand-out case results based on the related program and grant(s) to assist with grant applications and fundraising efforts. Coordinate client photoshoots and video shoots for firm to use as marketing materials and stewardship.
- Maintain firm wide program outreach materials and branding resources on a shared drive (SharePoint) that serves as staff resources.
- Maintain Social Media platforms (FB, Twitter etc.). Coordinate FB live sessions with staff, make suggestions for good content, train and provide support. Increase reach and visibility on our outlets supporting client service & building social relationships with grant partners/funders.
- Provide input and expertise for the development of materials and execution of programs, campaigns, and other efforts designed to create awareness and demand in targeted markets. Set metric goals, develop, and execute changes to improve effectiveness of communications strategy.
- Campaigns/Fundraising Communications Efforts
- Provide strategic direction, promote, and execute partner campaigns like our Miles for Justice and United Way Campaigns.
- Drafts internal & external email marketing communications through our platform Constant Contact. Support virtual and in-person events assisting with all event related communications and other event day assignments as needed. Support all Development campaigns like our Justice Works! Campaign and Sustaining Law Firm Campaign with ongoing stewardship and communications activities. Assist in ongoing donor acquisition, supporting communications plans and producing prospect lists.
- Update lists for campaign mailers and assist in facilitating direct mail, email marketing campaigns and events. Produce and maintain web content for donor appreciation & campaign pages, including success stories, donor recognition lists, event information, and more.
- Attend Board, Development Council, or fundraising committee meetings as needed. Assist in preparation of materials to support the volunteer leadership and Development team.
- Internal Communications & Program Support
- Respond to and support communications program and grant requests. “Pitch the advocates” to the media for interviews, and highlight any news features on social media & news sections of the website.
- Track grants with the programs they support for effective communications (client stories, newsletters, social media shares, etc.). Keep a calendar of grant-related activities and storytelling/PR opportunities for annual awareness campaigns or partnership support activities. Manage an ongoing list of partners and funders for communications.
- Develop internal communications, including weekly “Good News of the Week” submissions. Serve as a representative of the Development department by participating in organizational committees, relevant to your position or the Development department. Author and/or review content created by other departments for consistency, effectiveness, and with an editorial eye.
- Other marketing/development and miscellaneous tasks as assigned
- Assist with awards Submissions/ Nominations.
- Team workshopping and review
- Administrative duties such as helping stuffing mailers, preparing prospect packets, running errands, etc.
- BA or BS in communications, Graphic Design, Marketing, English, Journalism and Minimum of 2-3 years in a same/similar role or a minimum of 5 years prior Development/marketing/communications experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Experience with marketing programs such as Constant Contact and Hootsuite. Knowledge of Adobe design programs including Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with all social media platforms. Excellent writing skills, with experience writing in all mediums.
- Experience writing for the media and press release distribution.
- Experience executing fundraising events from start to finish.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to and work effectively within a team.
- High level of interpersonal skills.
- Very detailed and deadline oriented.
- Experience working in non-profit organization or Law firm.
- Experience writing for the media and press release distribution.
- Graphic design experience a plus.
- Experience working in a donor database such as Raiser’s Edge.
- Depends upon experience, excellent benefits and mileage reimbursement for travel.
How to Apply:
- Send Resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “Communication Specialist”.
- Include where you applied for this position (ex: bals.org, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.).
Bay Area Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.
Still have questions?
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.