I don’t qualify as a tenant under the Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act (PTFA). What should I do?

If you are not considered a tenant under the PTFA, you do not have as many rights.

Although you are not protected by the PTFA, you do not need to move out immediately when a foreclosure is filed. Foreclosures often take time. The owner may be able to stop the foreclosure. Once you learn about the lawsuit, you should try to discuss the situation with the owner.

Although you do not need to move immediately, it is wise to prepare. You should begin to look for other housing and pack up your belongings. You will have to move out after the property sells, title transfers, and a Writ of Possession is issued.

The new owner can allow you to remain as a tenant but they are not obligated to do so. Be careful to confirm that you are dealing with the new owner before paying rent or signing anything.

Still have questions?

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?

Call (800) 625-2257

to apply for service.

Or complete our online application

and we will call you back.