Intake Screener (Part-time)
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill part-time Intake Screener positions in the Centralized Telephone Intake Unit. Applicants will need to be able to work a minimum of 20 hours per week- maximum 29 hours per week. Regular business hours are M-F 8:30am-5:00pm and flexible schedules are available.
Intake Screeners are the initial telephone point of contact for all new clients of Bay Area Legal Services. This is a professional position under the supervision of the Centralized Telephone Intake (CTI) Manager, requiring knowledge of legal and community resources, public agencies, and the ability to assess, schedule and refer clients appropriately.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the mission, vision, and adhere to the four core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
1302 N 19th Street
Tampa, FL 33605
- Determine client eligibility in accordance with LSC regulations and other funding criteria.
- Initially assess applicants' legal problems and check for conflicts of interest.
- Refer ineligible applicants to other sources of assistance and give appropriate information as instructed.
- Schedule appointments through the CTI Unit for all eligible applicants from various service regions, unless the applicant meets the criteria for a special grant or has a legal emergency.
- Route eligible applicants with emergency cases and applicants who qualify for services through a specific grant to the appropriate full-service team for assistance.
- Assist with training new screeners as requested.
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good typing skills and the ability to enter data into computer.
- Demonstrated ability to work responsibly under close supervision.
- Ability to work professionally and politely with the public under pressure, and to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- There are 4 open positions (3 require fluency in English (fluency in Spanish a plus), and 1 requires fluency in both English and Spanish).
- Knowledge of basic legal terminology and simple business mathematics.
- Familiarity with the judicial system and a wide range of social services.
- Ability to interview to determine essential facts with respect to eligibility and initial case assignment.
- Ability and willingness to work in close contact with staff on legal problems of clients and to accept close supervision and instruction.
- Sympathetic and compassionate understanding of the social and economic as well as legal problems of individuals with limited access to legal services and the elderly.
- Prior experience in a call center, social service agency or law firm preferable.
- Depending upon experience.
How to Apply:
- Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, "Intake Screener".
- Include where you applied for this position (ex: bals.org, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.).
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.