Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC)
For assistance, submit a request for help. Your phone call or email will be answered within 24 business hours.
Bay Area Legal Services provides free help to low income individuals who have a tax issue with the IRS.
We provide services to lower income taxpayers and those who speak English as a second Language (ESL). Free translation services provided.
Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC) are independent from the IRS. We represent individuals, not the IRS.
We Help Low Income Taxpayers with:
- IRS requests for additional documents
- Deficiency Notices from IRS
- Denials of Credits by the IRS
- Liens and Levies by the IRS
- Audits by the IRS
- Need for representation in Tax
- Court or at hearings
- Need for legal advice
Eligibility for Services
- You must be a resident of Hillsborough or Pasco County. If you live in a Florida county that does not offer a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic, we may be able to help. Submit a request for help for more information.
- In most cases you must meet financial eligibility guidelines.
- In most cases you must be a U.S. citizen or documented resident; however, some exceptions exist.
- How much must I earn before I file a tax return?
- Must I file taxes if I am not a citizen or resident alien?
- What should I do if I receive a letter from the IRS?
- Can the IRS place a lien on my property or garnish my wages?
- What can I do if someone is using my social security number
- A father had custody of his daughter for several years. The location of the mother was unknown. The father received a letter from the IRS requesting proof of the child’s residency. He had none of the requested documents. We referred the client to a volunteer private attorney who assisted him in submitting alternative documents which satisfied the IRS.
- A recently divorced client received a letter from the IRS advising that her tax refund would not be issued because of business related taxes owed by her former husband. We assisted her in completing the Innocent Spouse Relief forms which qualified her to have the funds released.
- The Spanish speaking mother of four children came to our office regarding a non-tax related matter. We learned her husband had abandoned her and she soon would be evicted from the farm owner’s property. She had been advised for three consecutive years by a “notary” not to file a tax return because she had not earned enough money. We referred her to a local free VITA site. They prepared her returns and she received refunds for each of the three previous years.
- A taxpayer had a tax refund withheld because he was a victim of I.D. theft. We assisted in having the funds released.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.