How much do I have to earn before filing a tax return?

Bay Area Legal does not prepare tax returns or determine whether you need to file a return.

We refer clients to VITA and AARP locations for assistance. These are open during the months before April 15th. Consult with a tax preparer to find out if you must file a tax return – or if it will be beneficial to file a return.

There are misconceptions about who must pay taxes.

You may have heard that once someone receives Social Security income, they do not have to pay taxes. (Or that full-time students do not have to pay taxes). These are not always true.

Whether you pay taxes depends on your individual situation.

Tax matters may be difficult to handle by yourself. You may contact Bay Area Legal to determine if you are eligible for our services.

Do you have a tax problem with the IRS? Help is available!

The Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) provides free help to low income individuals who have a tax issue with the IRS.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinic

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?