I paid my rent but the landlord claims I have violated the lease for another reason. What can I do?
Florida Law: A landlord must give a 7-Day Notice before filing an eviction for non-rent reasons.
There are two types of 7-Day Notices:
- Notice with Opportunity to Cure. You can resolve the issue. Example: removing unauthorized pets, guests, or vehicles.
- Notice with No Opportunity to Cure. You cannot resolve the issue. Example: destroying or damaging the property.
You can defend against eviction for these reasons:
- You never got the Notice
- The amount in the Notice was not right
- The Notice had incorrect dates
- Claims in the Notice never happened or are wrong