Disaster Relief Pro Bono Coordinator
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a full-time Pro Bono Coordinator position for its Disaster Relief Team.
Bay Area’s Disaster Relief Team is recruiting for a Disaster Volunteer Coordinator to join our engaging and active team. This position will engage in ongoing recruitment, screening, onboarding, activities, and other tasks related to supporting an active panel of pro bono volunteer attorneys focused on assisting disaster relief clients. This position will also include case placement with volunteer attorneys and appropriate case monitoring and follow-ups with volunteers. Travel to BALS branch offices, community partners, and universities/law schools will occur as necessary.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
201 14th Avenue SE, Suite I
Ruskin, FL 33570
- Recruit and retain volunteer attorneys, law students, and non-legal volunteers with a focus on disaster relief assistance.
- Schedule and manage pro bono clinics; identify other necessary and effective pro bono efforts.
- Develop, curate, and maintain volunteer database, and ensure volunteer compliance with BALS’ policies and requirements.
- Create and provide training opportunities for all volunteers, as well as disaster-related training mechanisms [videos, webinars], tools, and resource materials. Recruit project mentors.
- Place cases with volunteer attorneys. Conduct case follow-up with volunteer attorneys.
- Oversee the work of volunteer attorneys and respond to any questions proposed.
- Coordinate outreach and recruitment efforts with community partners.
- Develop and maintain collegial relationships with peers in the field and with area volunteer organizations to ensure best practices.
- Attend relevant trainings, convening, and events.
- Cooperate and collaborate with statewide legal aids and other disaster relief programs statewide as appropriate for the delivery of pro bono legal assistance.
- Perform other duties as designated by the Disaster Relief Team Leader.
- Juris Doctorate (JD), Florida Bar licensed and in good standing with the Bar.
- 1-2 years’ experience with project coordination, managing volunteer or intern/extern programs, or HR or volunteer recruitment experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative, meet deadlines, and maintain confidentiality for sensitive information.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships both internally and with external community contacts.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to new and changing environments.
- Experience in database management for analysis, evaluation, reporting, and project excellence.
- Ability to forge and maintain relationships within and outside the organization and work collaboratively with volunteers and staff from outside organizations and community partners.
- Sympathetic and compassionate understanding of the social, economic, and legal issues faced by low-income individuals with limited access to such services.
- Minimum 1 year experience as a licensed practicing attorney.
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
- Experience with disaster-related services, including familiarity with disaster-preparedness training and disaster-focused legal assistance.
- Skilled in use of social media and new technologies in business/client service communications.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.