Director of Litigation & Advocacy
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a full-time Director of Litigation & Advocacy position in its Ybor City office.
This is a professional position with significant responsibility for advocate support, training, supervision and facilitating the provision of quality legal services. The Litigation Director and Advocacy Director’s primary functions and duties include ensuring a strategic focus for program litigation and advocacy, and providing technical assistance, co-counseling, training and strategic support to staff on litigation and systemic advocacy as well as emerging legal advocacy approaches.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
1302 N 19th Street
Tampa, FL 33605
- Identify systemic issues that affect Bay Area Legal Services’ clients and develop strategic litigation and/or advocacy approaches to address them, with a focus on priority substantive legal areas.
- Support, teach, and model effective advocacy and emerging legal advocacy approaches in state and federal courts, administrative proceedings, and other forums.
- Identify advocacy-related training needs and develop and conduct staff training related to changes in procedural and substantive law, litigation, and appellate advocacy.
- Train and assist advocates in obtaining attorney fees.
- Review monthly dockets of team leaders who provide direct legal services.
- Review and approve litigation expenses.
- Identify and facilitate connections across teams and create substantive law groups.
- Chair Bay Area Legal Services’ Systemic Advocacy Committee.
- Facilitate and support Bay Area Legal Services’ participation in statewide litigation and advocacy efforts.
- Co-Counsel with outside counsel on issues affecting the client community in select cases.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to promoting the mission, vision, and values of Bay Area Legal Services
- Minimum ten years legal experience as a practicing attorney with six years of management supervisory experience, ideally in a legal services program.
- Member of the Florida Bar in good standing.
- Member of the Federal Bar or admission within an agreed-upon time.
- Experience as lead counsel in complex state litigation highly preferred.
- Experience as lead counsel in complex federal litigation highly preferred.
- Significant experience leading advocacy efforts other than litigation.
- Superior oral and written communication skills and editing skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Commitment to a flexible, comprehensive view of representation on behalf of low-income people that values both individual and systemic advocacy.
- Ability to identify and respond to shifting trends in legal practice and policies that affect low-income people.
How to Apply:
- Send Resume and Cover Letter (including why this position is of interest to you) to firstname.lastname@example.org and state how you learned about the role.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.