HR Generalist (Full-time)
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a full-time Human Resources (HR) Generalist position in its Ybor City office.
The Human Resources (HR) Generalist is responsible for the human resources needs and implementation of best practices to support achievement of corporate business objectives. The Human Resources Generalist performs administrative, strategic, and planning duties. The HR Generalist will recruit, train and on-board, and guide employees through benefits & compensation, represent both the employee and the company, assist with employee relations matters, performance management. Also accountable for the vital task of ensuring compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations for HR/PR policies, processes, affirmative action etc. This position requires an extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the organization, building relationships and establishing credibility with employees from a wide range of teams/departments. The generalist must be able to balance overall corporate needs, employee support and the ongoing operational needs of the company while maintaining compliance with all HR regulations.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the four core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
1302 N 19th Street
Tampa, FL 33605
- Recruitment – oversee applicant screening process to ensure qualified candidates are routed to the hiring managers, interview, screen and recruit job applicants to fill all levels of job openings. Oversees accurate maintenance of recruitment documentation in compliance with EEO/AAP.
- Employee On-boarding/off-boarding– Organize and manage on-boarding, new employee orientation and training programs. Oversees HR Asst. processing & ensures accuracy & compliance of all paperwork such as USCIS Form I-9; periodically audits I-9 Forms. Conducts exit interviews, analyzes data and identifies patterns & potential improvements. Oversees termination process, ensures proper notification of employee terminations internally and externally for compliance. Runs turnover reports etc.
- Employee Relations - Tracks employee corrective actions, Partners with the HR Director to make recommendations to management team for corrective action & continuous improvement, responds to employee relation issues such as employee complaints, harassment or discrimination. Unemployment claim administration. Attends unemployment hearings if necessary.
- HR Policy Management - Partners with HR Director to review, update, and communicate human resource policies, procedures, laws, standards and other government regulations. Act as SME for internal HR policy interpretation.
- Comp & Benefit Administration – Manage FMLA process, facilitate ADA requests. Maintain FMLA recordkeeping & eligibility tracking etc., respond to WC claims & manage process. Act as safety coordinator for covid-19 requirements, contact tracing, protocols and processes. Oversee employee enrollment & changes as well as broker & providers for accuracy/efficiency. Assist with employee inquiries, coordinate open enrollment process/communication annually. Assist HR Dir with annual salary/merit process and performance review process. Distribute annual employee notices as required and benefits reporting requirements.
- HR/PR System & Reporting – Assists with data maintenance and integrity of the HR/PR system. Runs reports routinely or as necessary to analyze data for ongoing issues, projects or functions. Assists with implementation or upgrading of new HR system modules as needed (i.e. performance management, recruiting, on-boarding, LMS).
- HR Compliance – ensure employee files are compliant, maintain/review/update completed job descriptions, maintain affirmative action program; file annual EEO-1 report; maintain other records, reports & logs to comply w/EEO/AAP & OSHA regulations. Stay up-to-date and comply with changes in HR legislation.
- Bi-weekly Payroll processing- Oversee and act as back up for bi-weekly payroll processing. Audit bi-weekly payroll
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience as an HR Generalist or similar role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR or related field (degree may be substituted for additional 2 years’ experience)
- Solid understanding/experience with human resources and payroll processes, benefit & compensation administration, recruitment & onboarding processes, handling employee relations issues, organizational planning & development, FMLA/leave administration, employment law compliance (FLSA, ADEA, EEO, ADA, FMLA etc.), performance management, employee development, corrective action, employee investigations, regulatory reporting.
- High level of interpersonal skills and professionalism to handle sensitive and confidential situations and detailed documentation.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- HR certification a plus – SHRM or other
- Depends upon experience, excellent benefits and mileage reimbursement for travel.
How to Apply:
- Send Resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “HR Generalist”.
- Include where you applied for this position (ex: bals.org, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.).
Bay Area Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.
Still have questions?
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.