Staff Attorney, Centralized Telephone Intake (Part-time)
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a remote part-time Staff Attorney position on its Centralize Telephone Intake (CTI) team. Must be a Florida resident, and be willing to come to our main office in Tampa, FL (Ybor City) for orientation.
This is a professional position involving the delivery of high quality legal advice, counseling and brief services as a licensed attorney. It requires excellent client interviewing skills, a substantial knowledge of a broad range of poverty law issues and the ability to give immediate assistance to clients whose problems do not require litigation or other complex advocacy services. Represents senior, low-income, and/or other vulnerable client populations who have limited access to legal services.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
1302 N 19th Street
Tampa, FL 33605
- Processes legal services requests and evaluates the complexity of each client's legal problem, assesses income eligibility, confirms applicant eligibility determinations, and makes appropriate legal and social services referrals for applicants and clients not eligible for Bay Area’s services. Recommend exceptions to financial guidelines to the supervisor if appropriate
- Provides legal services as needed including advice, research, and brief services to clients who do not need extended representation, including preparing appropriate confirming letters as necessary and providing self-help materials
- Reviews documents submitted by applicants including durable and other powers of attorney and letters of guardianship
- Determines whether extended legal services may be needed for CTI clients and when appropriate, processes referrals within Bay Area and to outside legal referral partners according to the guidelines established by the CTI Manager
- Maintains complete and accurate client records using Bay Area’s legal case management system
- Assists in developing and updating appropriate legal advice and brief services letters, legal instructional materials and other written materials as requested by the CTI Manager.
- Florida Bar licensure and active practice of law as a Bar member in Florida for at least two years.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely and cooperatively with other team members.
- Demonstrated ability to interview clients to determine essential facts with regard to the nature and severity of their legal problems.
- Demonstrated ability to accept major responsibility and to work effectively in an independent but closely supervised environment.
- Ability to document accurately in a legal case management system, efficiently use internet, and Microsoft Outlook & Word.
- Past experience as a Legal Aid/Legal Services attorney.
- Familiarity and experience working with a wide range of social service agencies.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Spanish is a plus.
- Starting hourly rate $31.50/hr, increases based on relevant experience.
- Eligible for some benefits and reimbursement for travel for work related events.
How to Apply:
- Send Resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include where you applied for this position (ex: bals.org, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.).
Bay Area Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.