Paralegal - Dade City (Full-time)
Highly responsible position under the direction and supervision of attorneys, paralegals are expected to provide advanced, complex assistance in support of team advocates and client cases.
This position is funded under the VOCA (Victims of Crime Act) grant so the paralegal will work closely with victims of crime, primarily related to family law matters and domestic violence injunctions. The position may be required to work, when necessary, at the BALS offices located in both New Port Richey and Dade City. A portion of the work may be done remotely where appropriate. The paralegal will primarily assist with interviewing clients, working with clients to obtain responses to discovery requests mostly for family law matters, but will also provide litigation support in other various areas of law.
14950 US Hwy 301
Dade City, FL 33523
- Interview new and continuing service clients.
- Investigate facts, prepare witnesses and evidence for negotiations, administrative hearings, and trials. Checks and examines law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, constitutions, and legal codes to prepare complex legal documents, such as briefs, pleadings, appeals with minimal supervision for attorney’s approval. Assists with trial preparation by organizing exhibits and assisting with other tasks as needed.
- Represent clients at administrative hearings. Handle individual client matters independently, but under attorney supervision.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervising attorney, including private attorney involvement as appropriate.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a paralegal with an AA degree in paralegal studies or 1-year experience as a paralegal with a Bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies or may substitute education with a total of 5 years’ experience as a paralegal.
- Excellent Time Management, Organizational Skills, detailed and deadline oriented.
- Excellent written, verbal and proof-reading skills.
- Extremely Customer focused with the desire & ability to work effectively and compassionately with clients in low income levels facing social, economic, and legal issues who have limited access to services to assist them.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and complete majority of tasks independently.
- Ability to work in and contribute effectively to a team environment
- Extensive knowledge of legal documents, procedures and terminology, E-filing of documents and processes.
- Extensive knowledge of legal case management systems and accurately tracking and processing legal case data using these systems.
- Complaint/Objection handling skills, Stress management skills, Telephone etiquette skills
- Experience at a Non-Profit a plus
- Florida Registered Paralegal (FRP) through Florida Bar.
- Depends upon experience, excellent benefits and reimbursement for mileage.
How to Apply
- Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, "Paralegal-Dade City". Include where you found this position (ex: bals.org, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.).
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Still have questions?
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.