Paralegal - Veterans, St. Petersburg (Full-time)
This position is currently unavailable. For a list of all open positions, please see our Careers page.
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a full-time Paralegal position in St. Petersburg.
Highly responsible position involving tasks assigned by attorneys and performed under their supervision in assisting clients in legal matters and operating with a substantial degree of independence. Assisting attorneys with handling individual client matters independently, but under the supervision of an attorney.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
4948 Central Avenue
St. Petersburg, FL 33707
- Interview new and continuing service clients, ensure grant compliance.
- Investigate facts, checks and examines law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, constitutions, and legal codes to prepare complex legal documents, such as briefs, pleadings. Assist with CL referrals and case closing procedures, and other grant-related tasks.
- Handle individual client matters independently, but under attorney supervision.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervising attorney, including private attorney involvement as appropriate.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a paralegal with an AA degree in paralegal studies or 1-year experience as a paralegal with a Bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies or may substitute education with a total of 5 years’ experience as a paralegal
- Excellent time management, organizational skills, detailed and deadline oriented
- Excellent written, verbal, and proof-reading skills
- Extremely client focused with the desire & ability to work effectively and compassionately with clients in low-income levels facing social, economic, and legal issues who have limited access to services to assist them.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and complete majority of tasks independently
- Ability to work in and contribute effectively to a supportive, collegial, and friendly team environment
- Extensive knowledge of legal documents, procedures and terminology, and processes
- Extensive knowledge of legal case management systems and accurately tracking and processing legal case data using these systems
- Stress management skills, multi-tasking skills, and telephone etiquette skills
- Experience using legal case management system(s)
- Experience at a Non-Profit a plus
- Florida Registered Paralegal (FRP) through Florida Bar
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.