Paralegal, Volunteer Lawyers Program (Part-time)
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a part-time paralegal position in the Volunteer Lawyers Program's Clearwater office to serve Pasco and Pinellas counties. This is a unique, highly responsible position under the direction and supervision of attorneys for Bay Area Legal Services’ Volunteer Lawyers Program, which recruits volunteer attorneys to assist clients through self-help clinics and/or direct representation in civil matters including family law, bankruptcy, contracts, probate, guardianships, and other legal matters. This position will be located in the Volunteer Lawyers Program – Northwest Office located in Clearwater, Florida. The position will require travel to Pasco County, when necessary, to attend networking events and/or meet with clients. A portion of the work may be done remotely where appropriate. Duties include processing applications for legal assistance, excellent written and oral communications with attorneys and clients, screening clients for eligibility, interviewing clients, scheduling volunteers, data entry and record keeping, generating statistical reports, assisting the team with pro bono recruitment and outreach, operation of clinic(s), and administrative support.
800 Drew Street
Clearwater, FL 33755
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
- Process applications for service
- Interview new clients
- Serve as contact person for ongoing clients, providing updates, etc.
- Handle individual client matters independently, but under attorney supervision
- Open and organize files according to compliance protocol
- Assist with scheduling and operation of legal clinics and outreach
- Generate statistical reports
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervising attorney, including private attorney involvement as appropriate
- Enter and maintain documentation for client matters in the company’s legal case management system timely and accurately per established process and grant requirements.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a paralegal with an AA degree in paralegal studies or 1-year experience as a paralegal with a Bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies or may substitute education with a total of 5 years’ experience as a paralegal
- Excellent time management, organizational skills, detailed and deadline oriented
- Excellent written, verbal, and proof-reading skills
- Extremely client focused with the desire & ability to work effectively and compassionately with clients in low-income levels facing social, economic, and legal issues who have limited access to services to assist them.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and complete majority of tasks independently
- Ability to work in and contribute effectively to a supportive, collegial, and friendly team environment
- Extensive knowledge of legal documents, procedures and terminology, and processes
- Extensive knowledge of legal case management systems and accurately tracking and processing legal case data using these systems
- Stress management skills, multi-tasking skills, and telephone etiquette skills
- Experience using legal case management system(s)
- Experience at a Non-Profit a plus
- Florida Registered Paralegal (FRP) through Florida Bar
- Starting hourly rate is $20.85/hr, could be more based on years of experience.
- Reimbursement for mileage for work-related events
- Time off benefits including paid holidays, sick, and vacation time and group insurance coverages depending on weekly scheduled hours.
How to Apply:
- Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and state how you learned about the role.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.