Staff Attorney – Team ABLE (Full-time)
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a full-time position on our housing unit called ABLE (Advocates for Basic Legal Equality).
ABLE provides high quality services, advice, and other assistance, including legal representation, to eligible clients under 60 years of age. The primary focus of the position will be housing law including defending evictions, preserving federally subsidized housing rights, and homeownership. Other more limited areas include consumer and public benefits. The Team Leader of ABLE will supervise the position.
1302 N 19th Street
Tampa, FL 33605
- Interview applicants and determine if eligibility requirements for established legal services are satisfied. Documents all client case information and related time spent in case management system accurately and timely. Ensure compliance with Legal Services Corporation (LSC) or other grantor requirements.
- Communicate with clients to learn about their legal needs and concerns, counsel, advise and refer them to appropriate public agencies or other community resources for additional services needed.
- Explain legal options and bring possible outcomes or risks to their attention.
- Develop and implement strategies to resolve cases favorably. Prepare legal documents, such as contracts, dispositions, briefs, oral arguments, and pleadings, accurately and in a timely manner. Research relevant legal materials to aid decision making, gather and analyze evidence, identify implications for cases from legal precedents or other legal information. Negotiate settlement of cases with opposing attorneys or parties. Prepare necessary correspondence relating to services rendered. Create and maintain relationships with organizations that are commonly adverse parties where possible to facilitate case resolution. Attend team meetings and collaborate with other attorneys on case questions.
- Develop arguments and represent clients participating in hearings before various courts and administrative bodies. Present and summarize cases to judges and juries.
- Travel to client meetings or hearings as necessary.
- Supervise junior attorney, legal assistants and activities of other legal personnel (legal interns, paralegals etc.)
- Assists other poverty program components as needed and offers advice in public relations, participates in appropriate community activities. This includes participation in BALS in-house committees and outside community/Florida Bar events when asked or needed.
- Stay informed about current legislation, especially assigned legal specialties. Attend Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses and/or other trainings to maintain knowledge in areas of expertise or gain new knowledge.
- Perform other duties as designated by the Team Leader.
- Juris Doctorate (JD), Florida Bar licensed and in good standing with the Bar.
- 2-5 years of practice as a licensed bar member.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, organize and review work of others.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent prioritization skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience with legal database systems to document case assignments.
- Sympathetic and compassionate understanding of the social, economic, and legal issues faced by low-income individuals with limited access to such services. Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
- Previous experience in a non-profit legal services firm
- Some experience in housing law
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Depends upon experience, excellent benefits.
How to Apply
- Send resume and cover letter to HRresumes@bals.org with the subject line, "ABLE Staff Attorney"
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.