Staff Attorney – Disaster Relief
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a full-time Staff Attorney position on our Disaster Relief Team. (80% Remote After Initial Training/Probationary Period)-You Must Be A Florida Resident Living In The Tampa Bay Area.
This position will have an initial focus on the development and rollout of a Statewide Disaster Relief Helpline and then shift to staffing and maintaining the services of this Statewide Helpline. This position will involve the delivery of high quality advice and counsel to a statewide complement of clients with disaster relief legal issues, including appropriate referral to local legal aid partners. In addition to maintaining the disaster relief helpline, this position will involve researching and developing substantive disaster relief and preparedness trainings to be utilized in a number of distributive formats, including live presentations and pre-recorded videos. This position will require collaboration with team members to ensure cohesive delivery of grant deliverables and deadlines.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’
mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
201 14th Avenue SE, Suite I
Ruskin, FL 33570
- Assist with development and rollout of a Statewide Disaster Relief Helpline.
- Staff statewide Disaster Relief Helpline - evaluate the complexity of each client's legal problem and provide appropriate legal services based upon client need and eligibility.
- Provide advice, research, and brief services to clients, including preparing appropriate self-help materials as necessary and referring applicants to appropriate legal aid partners or other community resources for additional services needed.
- Determine if case acceptance and legal representation for extended services are needed for DR clients and process case referrals within Bay Area and to outside legal referral partners
- Maintain complete and accurate client records using Bay Area’s legal case management system
- Develop, foster, and maintain referral network among statewide legal aid partners in support of statewide disaster helpline.
- Research and create substantive DR training material to be developed into outreach modules including videos and in-person presentations.
- Participate in appropriate community activities and DR outreach. This includes participation in BALS in-house committees and outside community/Florida Bar events when asked or needed.
- Stay informed about current legislation, especially assigned legal specialties. Attend Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses and/or other trainings to maintain knowledge in areas of expertise or gain new knowledge.
- Collaborate with Regional Outreach Coordinator and Supervising Attorney in development of new training material.
- Performing related work as required and assigned by the Supervising Attorney.
- JD, Juris Doctorate Degree, Admission to Florida Bar.
- Active practice of law for minimum 2-3 years.
- Experience documenting in legal case management systems.
- Experience in general practice of law and some experience specifically related to Housing, Disaster Relief Benefits, and Insurance Benefits.
- Experience working in a legal services program.
- Knowledge of disaster relief programs and resources, including familiarity with disaster preparedness training and disaster related legal assistance preferred.
- An ability to work closely with others and a willingness to accept supervision.
- Sympathetic understanding of the social, economic, as well as legal problems of individuals with limited access to legal services.
- Starting Salary $57,500; or higher, based on experience level
- Excellent benefits including annual leave and sick leave, reimbursement for mileage for work related events, continuing education and professional licensure renewal paid.
How to Apply:
- Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- State where you learned about the role.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.