Staff Attorney – Senior Advocacy Unit (Full-time)
NOTE: For a list of open positions, please see our Careers page.
Bay Area Legal Services (BALS) is seeking to fill a full-time Staff Attorney position on our Senior Advocacy Unit (SAU). The SAU provides high quality legal services to seniors (60+) in a variety of areas including home ownership, landlord/tenant, public benefits, and other issues affecting low-income and vulnerable senior populations. The position will be supervised by the Team Leader of the Senior Advocacy Unit (SAU).
1302 N 19th Street
Tampa, FL 33605
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
- Interview applicants and determine if eligibility requirements for established legal services are satisfied. Documents all client case information and related time spent in case management system accurately and timely. Ensure compliance with Legal Services Corporation (LSC) or other grantor requirements.
- Communicate with clients to learn about their legal needs and concerns, counsel, advise and refer them to appropriate public agencies or other community resources for additional services needed. Explain legal options and bring possible outcomes or risks to their attention.
- Develop and implement strategies to resolve cases favorably. Prepare legal documents, such as contracts, dispositions, briefs, oral arguments, and pleadings, accurately and in a timely manner. Research relevant legal materials to aid decision making, gather and analyze evidence, identify implications for cases from legal precedents or other legal information. Negotiate settlement of cases with opposing attorneys or parties. Prepare necessary correspondence relating to services
- rendered. Create and maintain relationships with organizations that are commonly adverse parties where possible to facilitate case resolution. Attend team meetings and collaborate with other attorneys on case questions.
- Juris Doctorate (JD), Florida Bar licensed and in good standing with the Bar.
- Three years or more of Civil Litigation Experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, organize and review work of others.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent prioritization skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience with legal database systems to document case assignments.
- Sympathetic and compassionate understanding of the social, economic, and legal issues faced by
- low-income individuals and the elderly with limited access to such services. Ability to relate well
- and effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
- Previous experience with home ownership preservation issues and/or landlord/tenant
- Previous experience in a non-profit legal services or public interest firm
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Minimum salary $57,500.00 (increases based on relevant experience), and excellent benefits
How to Apply:
- Send Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and state where you learned about this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.