Can a creditor take my wages if I do not pay a debt?

It depends. If a creditor obtains a judgment against you, they can send a “writ of garnishment” to your employer to seize your wages. Your employer may be required to send up to 20% of your earnings to the creditor.

In Florida, if you provide at least half the support to a child or other dependent, you can file an exemption claim with the court to stop the wage garnishment (as head of the family). Below is a sample exemption form that a creditor must send you if they want to take your wages.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?