The owner (a family member) has died and the mortgage company won’t speak to me, even though it is my home I am living in it. They are threatening to foreclose. What can I do?

If the home was titled solely in the owner’s name, you will need to file a probate case and ask the court to designate you as the personal representative of the owner’s estate. As personal representative, you will be able to communicate with the mortgage company. The probate court will determine who gets title to the home.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?