As a veteran already receiving service-connected disability compensation, I think I should be getting more benefits. What can I do to increase my benefit amount?

For each disability, the VA will assign a rating from 0% to 100%. They base this rating on the evidence you turn in with your claim. In some cases, they may also ask you to get an examination to help with their decision.

Many types of medical conditions get worse over time. If you are getting disability benefits from the VA, you have the right to request that your rating be increased if your medical condition gets worse or causes your health to deteriorate.

To apply for an increase in disability benefits, you can:

  1. Request compensation for a new disability, or
  2. File for an increase to an existing disability because the condition has gotten worse, or
  3. Disagree with the VA's current disability rating decision

To file for an increase, you normally go through the same procedure you went through when you initially filed for disability compensation. You will need medical proof that your condition has gotten worse. This can be from either the VA doctor or a private doctor.

NOTE: When you request an increase in your VA disability rating, you are opening up your claim for re-evaluation. The VA can actually lower your existing rating, so you need to make sure you have a strong case before you file.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?