How do I challenge the Notice and eviction?

If a landlord gave a proper Notice and the time has expired, the landlord files an Eviction Complaint at the County Courthouse.

The landlord must “serve” the Complaint. It can be served on you in person or by public posting.

Then, you have five days -- not including weekends and legal holidays -- to file a written response with the court and deposit any rent due with the Clerk of Court.

Your response must raise defenses to the eviction.

NOTE: If you do not file an Answer and raise defenses, you may be evicted in only 12 days!

Still have questions?

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?

Call (800) 625-2257

to apply for service.

Or complete our online application

and we will call you back.