How do I challenge the Notice and eviction?

If a landlord gave a proper Notice and the time has expired, the landlord files an Eviction Complaint at the County Courthouse.

The landlord must “serve” the Complaint. It can be served on you in person or by public posting.

Then, you have five days -- not including weekends and legal holidays -- to file a written response with the court and deposit any rent due with the Clerk of Court.

Your response must raise defenses to the eviction.

NOTE: If you do not file an Answer and raise defenses, you may be evicted in only 12 days!

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?