I use a name that is different from the name on my birth certificate. I need to renew my license, but I cannot prove my identity. What can I do?
The best way to ensure that you can renew your license is to legally change your old name to your new name.
To do that, you must:
- Go to the Courthouse and file a notarized Petition for Change of Name.
- Submit a background check with your petition.
- Ask a Clerk of Court to schedule a hearing.
At the hearing, you will need the judge to sign a Final Judgement of Change of Name.
Once you have a court order with your new name, you need to have your name changed at the Social Security office and Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
You must also bring:
- Your birth certificate
- A document that proves that you are a United States citizen
- An identification card that has your old name on it