Bay Area Legal Services’ Volunteer Leadership include our Board of Directors and Development Council. The Board provides financial and program oversight while serving as our ambassadors in the community. The Council members are influential leaders with a demonstrated committed to the firm. The Council assists with fundraising efforts to secure the financial future of Bay Area Legal.
Board of Directors
Board Members serve as ambassadors, educating the community and building relationships that support our mission. Fiduciary duties include financial and program oversight, and broad policy-making. The Board is composed of 21 members selected and appointed by a variety of organizations and agencies
Federal regulations require that the Board consist of at least 60% attorneys, and 30% eligible client members. Additional regulations require that attorney appointments be made by bar associations representing a majority of the attorneys practicing in the communities where Bay Area Legal provides services.
Join our Board and guide Bay Area Legal in a fiduciary role while serving as our ambassador in the community. Board members include attorneys and representatives from client-based organizations.
Current Board members are:
- Chairperson: Leslie K. Schultz-Kin
- Chairperson-Elect: Yohance A. Pettis
- Treasurer: Andrew M. O'Malley
- Secretary: Tori C. Simmons
- Michael A. Bedke
- Morgan R. Bentley
- Jeffrey E. Cox
- Cynthia Davis-Gryce
- Wendy J. DePaul
- Valorie Hoppenworth
- Adriana Huapilla
- David T. Knight
- Sarah Lahlou-Amine
- Yolanda V. Lee
- Paul Martinez
- Ella A. Shenhav
- Frances K. Werner-Watkins
- Barbara Williams
- Sarah E. Williams
- Gwynne A. Young
The organizations that appoint Board members are:
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- St. Petersburg Bar Association
- West Pasco County Bar Association
- Bay Area Legal Services Board of Directors
- Catholic Charities
- Community Action Stops Abuse (CASA)
- Salvation Army Domestic Violence Shelter – West Pasco County
- Senior Connections
- The Spring of Tampa Bay
- Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind
The Council’s mission is to assist in securing the financial future of Bay Area Legal with strategic fundraising efforts. The Council consists of 20-25 members, including community leaders from diverse fields: medicine, real estate, insurance, education, financial services, accounting, media, law, small business, human resources, law enforcement, and ministry. Participation by these community leaders enhances the image and awareness of Bay Area Legal.
Become a member of our Council and you can join other community leaders who develop, promote, and support Bay Area Legal’s fundraising efforts.
Current Council members are:
- R. Tom Elligett, Chairperson
- Craig E. Rothburd, Vice Chairperson
- J. Kevin Carey
- Judge Paul W. Danahy, Honorary
- Richard A. Gilbert, Honorary
- Norman A. Harris
- Benjamin H. Hill, III, Honorary
- Charles F. Ketchey, Jr.
- David T. Knight
- John F. Kynes
- Sara Alpert Lawson
- Gov. Bob Martinez, Honorary
- Lisa Montero
- Cory J. Person
- Robert A. Shimberg
- Edward M. Waller, Jr.
If you are interested in learning more about the Council, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.