Can a creditor take my wages if I do not pay a debt?

It depends. If a creditor obtains a judgment against you, they can send a “writ of garnishment” to your employer to seize your wages. Your employer may be required to send up to 20% of your earnings to the creditor.

In Florida, if you provide at least half the support to a child or other dependent, you can file an exemption claim with the court to stop the wage garnishment (as head of the family). Below is a sample exemption form that a creditor must send you if they want to take your wages.

Still have questions?

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?

Call (800) 625-2257

to apply for service.

Or complete our online application

and we will call you back.