Administrative Assistant Legal (Full-time)
NOTE: This position is currently unavailable. For a list of all open positions, please see our Careers page.
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a full-time Legal Administrative Assistant position on our New Port Richey team.
Bay Area Legal Services (BALS) is seeking to fill a full-time position to provide support for our attorneys by performing administrative duties including tracking and compiling case information, entering specific case information into case management system, running grant reports if needed; preparing documents based on attorneys’ draft; Proofreading, modifying documents, scheduling meetings, assisting with case information. Handling client calls, logging faxes, correspondence etc. into case files and case management system as required. Assist clients with completion of applications for review and eligibility determination for extended services further described in Job Description for position.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the four core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
New Port Richey
7340 Little Road, Ste. 101
New Port Richey, FL 34654
- Initial Case Opening & Case Management – Opening case file organization; file maintenance to insure compliance with grant requirements; Interview applicants for legal assistance and establishing preliminary eligibility; Document case activities in Legal Server.
- Ongoing Case support–Assist with E-filing court documents; Log incoming mail and track deadlines/calendar court dates, disclosures, updated client filings, etc., schedule attorneys’ appointments, depositions and hearings etc… on appropriate court calendar, arrange for case-related services and prepare payment for these services as necessary, Assist with correspondence, phone calls, preparing and proofreading documents for submission etc.; prepare routine legal documents for hearings; depositions; service of process; subpoenas, etc. Compose routine correspondence.
- Case Closure – Prepare closing letters and client evaluation/satisfaction surveys, copy & file surveys if returned, Complete/review closing check list prior to closing file in Legal Server, Complete LSC compliance checklist prior to official closing of file, review with & verify Team Leader check off is complete, Close briefs & files in case management system
- Grant Reporting – Provide support and case tracking results for grant reporting, i.e. submit forms to project director as needed, gather & supply grant data for reporting (i.e. LSC, or VOCA Title III and United Way information quarterly reports, etc.)
- Various other Admin support duties – copies, distribute mail, prepare outgoing mail (certified), maintain hard copy files, phones, fax etc. as needed.
- Community Outreach - Arrange outreach events to educate various under-served communities within West Pasco County about the services offered and outreach to senior citizens to conduct intake.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent Certificate of Completion (GED) with 3 years of experience as administrative assistant and 1 of these years in a Legal Administrative Assistant or Legal Administrative Support Position.
- Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, very detailed and deadline oriented.
- Ability to interview clients to determine essential facts and issues with regard to the nature and severity of their legal problems.
- Ability to work responsibly and independently, being a contributing team member, and comfortable with case management and organizing files and data.
- Ability and willingness to work in close contact with staff on legal problems of clients and to accept supervision and instruction.
- Sympathetic and compassionate understanding of the social, economic and legal issues faced by low-income individuals with limited access to such services. Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals
- Experience with a non-profit organization and bilingual a plus
Bay Area Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran.
Still have questions?
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.