Social Worker – Children's Law Center (Full-time)
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a Full-Time Social Worker position at our Children's Law Center.
A highly skilled MSW will collaborate with and support attorneys for children and youth in the Hillsborough County dependency system who provide high quality, holistic, client-directed legal representation.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’ mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
Children's Law Center
1000 N. Ashley Drive, Suite 518
Tampa, FL 33602-3717
- Must adhere to Florida Bar requirements regarding attorney- client confidentiality.
- Attend case staffing and enter contemporaneous written notes and reports in case management system for each child client.
- Visit children and youth in placements and in the community as requested by the attorneys.
- Provide assessments of child client’s needs, as requested by the attorneys, and identify services necessary to meet the needs of the child and the family.
- Assist child welfare case managers in providing referrals on behalf of the children and follow-up on referrals to monitor whether services are being provided in a timely manner.
- With direction and supervision from the attorney, assist with educational advocacy, including attending Individual Educational Plan (IEP) meetings.
- Assist with investigating pertinent facts in case, obtain and review records and reports when necessary.
- Assist in case planning and tracking cases towards permanency. Routinely meet with the attorneys to track case progress, identify and resolve barriers to permanency.
- Identify adoptive homes for clients when necessary. This will include networking with the Department of Children and Families, as well as private agencies, adoption attorneys, internet sources, relatives, teachers, foster parents, shelter staff and other members of the community.
- Be available to the attorneys to assist with any issues arising in cases (e.g., visitation, medical or dental care, Medicaid, daycare, educational issues, etc.).
- Interface with child welfare stakeholders on behalf of the CLC.
- Serve as a liaison with local Community Based Care Agency and Case Management Organizations and meet periodically with its staff to discuss issues involving children in care and early services intervention.
- Assist attorneys in providing community awareness and promoting the involvement of the CLC in working with children in foster care.
- Participate in planning sessions and workgroups within the community and the Children’s Board of Hillsborough County and other community partners to develop a better child welfare system.
- Supervise social work student interns.
- Perform all other responsibilities as assigned by the Team Leader.
- Master’s Degree in social work (MSW) from an accredited University.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with a MSW in general social work including serving at risk children and children with special needs of all ages.
- Demonstrated commitment to the provision of high quality social services to at risk children.
- Experience in Child Welfare system or with dependent children and youth in Hillsborough County.
- An ability to work closely with others and a willingness to accept supervision.
- Sympathetic understanding of the social, economic, as well as legal problems of individuals with limited access to legal services.
- Strong advocacy skills.
- Existing knowledge of community resources in Hillsborough County.
- Experience with educational advocacy.
- Experience with early childhood development.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- Starting salary $43,040/yr, or higher based on experience level.
- Excellent benefits and mileage reimbursement for travel to work related events.
How to Apply:
- Send Resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Include where you applied for this position (ex: bals.org, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.).
Bay Area Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.