Staff Attorney - Volunteer Lawyers Program (Tampa)
Bay Area Legal Services is seeking to fill a full-time Staff Attorney position for its Volunteer Lawyers Program.
This position involves the delivery of a full range of high-quality legal services through volunteers under the Volunteer Lawyers Program of Bay Area Legal Services. The Staff Attorney will be responsible for developing pro bono/outreach opportunities, developing training materials, assisting with intake and clinics, and overseeing cases placed with volunteer attorneys. The position will be supervised by the Team Leader/Pro Bono Director of the VLP.
Applicants seeking employment with us should understand and share our commitment to the BALS’
mission and vision, and be willing to abide by the five core values of Bay Area Legal Services.
Volunteer Lawyers Program
George Edgecomb Courthouse
800 E Twiggs Street
Tampa, FL 33602
- Case Management: Oversee cases being handled by pro bono attorneys. Conduct follow up with volunteer to ensure case is progressing towards resolution. Comply with BALS internal policies to ensure cases are updated on a timely basis.
- Participate in bi-monthly Client Intake sessions; supervise volunteer attorneys participating in intake sessions.
- Participate in clinics; supervise volunteer attorneys participating in clinics.
- Process legal service requests and evaluate the complexity of each client's legal problem, confirm applicant eligibility determinations, and make appropriate legal and social services referrals for clients/applicants.
- Assist in recruitment of volunteer attorneys, mentors, law students, and non-legal volunteers, as well as communication with volunteer panel to include newsletters, etc.
- Assist in updating team materials/website pages.
- Developing training materials for volunteers, including processing applications for CLE credits
- Adheres to professional standards as outlined by governmental bodies, (and/or other appropriate professional associations), private funding sources, organization plans/policies and guidelines. Participates in periodic evaluative reviews and/or in-house and external staff training to ensure that she/he understands and continues to adhere to such standards. Initiates requests for assistance or guidance from supervisor to address new issues or complex concepts affecting adherence to professional standards
- Performs other duties as designated by the Team Leader/Pro Bono Director
- Juris Doctorate (JD), Florida Bar licensed and in good standing with the Bar
- Demonstrated ability to work in an independent but closely supervised environment
- Ability to think critically, troubleshoot and problem solve issues quickly
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Excellent prioritization skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in and contribute effectively to a team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and with external community contacts
- Sympathetic and compassionate understanding of the social, economic, and legal issues faced by low-income individuals with limited access to such services
- Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals
- Ability to work closely and cooperatively with other team members
- Knowledge of poverty law issues
- Experience in bar association activities or other volunteer organizations.
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Experience with digital tools and open to exploring new technology skills to enhance their daily duties
- Minimum salary $50,000 to $52,500 (increases with experience), excellent benefits and mileage reimbursement for travel.
How to Apply:
- Send Resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please state how you learned about the role. This position will remain open until filled.
Bay Area Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran.
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.