A family member has died and I was supposed to inherit the property. I am not on the title. What should I do?

A court case (probate) must determine who is entitled to the property. The judge will determine the legal beneficiaries – which may include a surviving spouse, children, or parents.

Probate is handled in different ways, depending on the value of the assets. If the value of the deceased’s property – other than the home – are worth less than $75,000, probate may be handled through a summary administration. This is a simpler process than full probate.

If there is a will, the court will determine its validity and distribute the property. If the owner died without a will, it is called dying “intestate.” Florida law governs who may inherit the property.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?