I am a veteran diagnosed with PTSD. Are there benefits available to me?

You may be able to get VA disability compensation benefits if you have symptoms related to a traumatic event (a “stressor”) or your experience with the stressor is related to the PTSD symptoms, and you meet all the requirements listed below:

  • The stressor happened during your service, and
  • You can’t function as well as you once could because of your symptoms, and
  • A doctor has diagnosed you with PTSD

What does VA consider to be a traumatic event?

The VA considers any of these to be a traumatic event:

  • You suffered a serious injury, personal or sexual trauma, or sexual violation, or
  • You were threatened with injury, sexual assault, or death

You may want to consider finding someone to advocate on your behalf, depending on the complexity of your case, such as a Veterans Service Organization (VSO). VSOs can collect and submit supporting documents for you at no charge. Find a County VSO in your area or you can call a lawyer for help.

Still have questions?

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?