My landlord is not making repairs. What can I do?


  • Give a written Notice to the landlord listing the significant problems you want corrected. Make sure that your rent is current.
  • Deliver the Notice in person at least seven days before rent is due. If you mail the Notice, mail at least 12 days before rent is due.
  • If the landlord makes reasonable efforts at resolving the problem in the 7- or 12-day period, pay the rent.
  • If the landlord does not make reasonable efforts, you can hold the rent. (Do not spend it.) If the landlord files an Eviction Complaint for nonpayment of rent, you can defend based on the failure to repair.
  • If you are served with an Eviction Complaint for not paying rent, deposit rent owed into the court registry and file a Motion to Determine Rent. Attach a copy of your written Notice of the problems.
  • You may not make the repairs and deduct cost without a written agreement from the landlord.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Manatee, or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?