What happens if I do not file an Answer or pay the rent to the Clerk?
If you do NOT follow the process properly, you may be evicted.
Here is what happens:
- On the landlord’s request, the court will sign a Writ of Possession without a court hearing.
- The court will send the Writ to the sheriff, who will tape a Final Notice of Eviction on your door.
- You may have only 24 hours to leave.
- When the time on the Notice ends, your landlord can change the locks.
- The landlord can put all of your belongings outside, for anyone to take.
Upcoming Legal Clinics
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.