What happens if I do not file an Answer or pay the rent to the Clerk?

If you do NOT follow the process properly, you may be evicted.

Here is what happens:

  • On the landlord’s request, the court will sign a Writ of Possession without a court hearing.
  • The court will send the Writ to the sheriff, who will tape a Final Notice of Eviction on your door.
  • You may have only 24 hours to leave.
  • When the time on the Notice ends, your landlord can change the locks.
  • The landlord can put all of your belongings outside, for anyone to take.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?