Someone claimed my children on their tax return but my children live with me.  What should I do?

We have helped others with similar problems in our Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic.

Sometimes, it’s fraud committed by an unknown person – who uses a child’s social security number to claim a refund.

Other times, a relative, foster care provider, former boyfriend, or spouse claims the child and wrongfully receives a refund.

To learn who and when someone can claim a child on their tax returns, contact the IRS at 800.829.1040 or

NOTE: Be careful not to search "" or "" These are not government websites, but may be run by for-profit businesses. You may also call the IRS at 800.829.1040.

Tax matters may be difficult to handle by yourself. You may contact Bay Area Legal to determine if you are eligible for our services.


Still have questions?

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?

Call (800) 625-2257

to apply for service.

Or complete our online application

and we will call you back.