Can I lose my home if I do not pay my homeowners or condominium association fee?

If you fail to pay your fees, dues, fines, or assessments, it is likely that your homeowners association (HOA) or condominium owners association (COA) can place a lien (debt) on the property. A lien puts you at risk of losing the home to foreclosure.

Your HOA or COA documents will describe the lien and foreclosure rights and processes.

Review your bylaws, covenants, conditions, and restrictions, or other governing documents. These will explain if and how your HOA or COA can take your home for money you owe to them. Timelines are very specific and differ depending on the type of housing.

We recommend you consult with an attorney if you are having problems with a debt owed to your HOA or COA.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?