Can my landlord shut off my electricity or water, or change the locks?

No, this is not allowed under Florida law.

If this happens, call the police. They may get the landlord to let you back in or to turn on utilities. You or the police can also tell the landlord they need to file a court action to get you off the property.

You can then seek a court order to get the locks removed or electricity/water returned. You may also get damages equal to three months’ rent for each violation. This can be difficult to get without a lawyer.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Manatee, or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?