How can I legally change my name?

To change your name:

  • Go to the Courthouse and file a notarized Petition for Change of Name.
  • Submit a background check with your petition.
  • Ask a Clerk of Court to schedule a hearing.

At the hearing, you will need the judge to sign a Final Judgement of Change of Name.

Once you have a court order with your new name, you will need to have your name changed at the Social Security office and Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

You must also bring:

  • Your birth certificate
  • A document that proves that you are a United States citizen
  • An identification card that has your old name on it

You can also use Florida Name Change, a free service that helps Florida residents update their legal name and gender marker on official government identification.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?