How can I legally change my name?
To change your name:
- Go to the Courthouse and file a notarized Petition for Change of Name.
- Submit a background check with your petition.
- Ask a Clerk of Court to schedule a hearing.
At the hearing, you will need the judge to sign a Final Judgement of Change of Name.
Once you have a court order with your new name, you will need to have your name changed at the Social Security office and Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
You must also bring:
- Your birth certificate
- A document that proves that you are a United States citizen
- An identification card that has your old name on it
You can also use Florida Name Change, a free service that helps Florida residents update their legal name and gender marker on official government identification.
Upcoming Legal Clinics
Apply for Services
If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.