How can I reduce my property taxes?

As a Florida property owner, you may qualify for exemptions that reduce your property taxes. If you own and permanently live in your home on January 1st, you may be eligible for the homestead exemption for that year. Florida’s homestead exemption decreases the property’s taxable value by as much as $50,000. You pay taxes on the lowered value. Your property tax bill will include both ad valorem and non-ad valorem property taxes. Non-ad valorem property taxes are not what you would normally think of as taxes. They include charges paid by the municipality or county for such things as stormwater, waste disposal, and other government services. Be aware that property tax exemptions only reduce ad valorem property taxes. Here’s how the homestead exemption works:

  1. The first $25,000 in property value is exempt from all property taxes.
  2. If your home has an assessed value between $50,000 and $75,000, you may have another $25,000 exemption.
  3. There is a cap on the annual increase on the appreciation (increase in value of the property) of your home. The value used to calculate your property taxes cannot exceed 3% of the prior year’s value. This means that even if your home increases in value by 10% in a year, you will only be taxed as if it increased by 3%.

Your county may offer extra exemptions. Many counties have extra exemptions for senior citizens and people with disabilities. Some counties offer exemptions for disabled first responders, active military members, and veterans. We recommend you review your county property appraiser’s website. This will help you find other exemptions you may apply for.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?