How do I appeal a denial, reduction, or termination of SNAP (Food Stamps) or TCA (Temporary Cash Assistance)?

If you feel you have been wrongfully denied eligibility or your benefits have been reduced or terminated, you should request a Fair Hearing in writing. If you are already receiving benefits and appeal within 10 days, your benefits should continue, otherwise, you have 90 days to file an appeal.

The Notice you receive denying or reducing benefits should contain information on your Appeal Rights. If you lose on appeal, the Department of Children and Families can try to collect on any overpayment of cash assistance or SNAP benefits.

Your Fair Hearing request should state:

I would like to request a hearing before the Department of Children and Family Services. I do not feel the denial/termination/reduction of SNAP or TANF was correct because____________________ (your reason). Print your name, your address, name of your caseworker, your telephone number, and your case number, then date it and sign your name.

You should send your hand-written fair hearing request by fax to 1-850-487-0662 or by mail to Appeals Hearings Section, 2415 North Monroe Street, Suite 400, Tallahassee, FL 32303-4190. Although DCF says you can ask for a hearing by calling the Appeal Hearings Section at 1-850-488-1429, it is best to appeal in writing. It is best to have proof that the mailed or faxed request was received, so, mail it with tracking or “return receipt requested” or keep a copy of the fax transmission report. You should also keep your own copy.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Manatee, or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?

Bay Area Legal Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Manatee, or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

Statewide Legal Helplines

If you live or have a case in Florida, we may be able to help.