I have received a TCA/TANF (Temporary Cash Assistance) sanction. What should I do?

A participant in the TCA program may receive a penalty (sanction) for not keeping scheduled appointments, failing to maintain hours in an assigned work activity, not providing documentation, or falsifying documentation.   

You should receive a pre-penalty notice before receiving a sanction. You should have an opportunity to meet with your case manager to discuss the problem.   

If you do get a sanction, it is important to appeal the sanction within 10 days and request a Fair Hearing. You should show good cause reason for any non-compliance (medical incapacity, childcare, domestic violence, or other circumstances beyond your control). Your reasons for non-compliance should be verified, for example: a letter from a doctor or teacher.   

Your Fair Hearing request should state:

I would like to request a hearing before the Department of Children and Family Services because of the sanction I received. I do not feel the sanction was correct because____________________ (your reason). Print your name, your address, name of your caseworker, your telephone number, and your case number, then date it and sign your name.   

You should send it by fax to the Customer Call Center at 1.866.762.2237 or mail it to ACCESS Central Mail Center, P.O. Box 1770, Ocala, FL  34478-1770. Keep a copy of the fax transmission report. You should also give a copy of your hearing request to your caseworker and keep a copy.

If you need a translator, you should request one and state the language you need at the hearing.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Manatee, or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?