I stopped making car payments because I got sick or lost my job. What should I do?

When you buy a car, you sign two legal documents. First, an agreement to make a monthly payment. Second, an agreement to allow repossession of your car if you do not make payments.

If you get behind on payments, you can return the car or the creditor can take your car and sell it. In either case, there is probably going to be more money owed. The creditor can take you to court to get this money. This is called a “deficiency judgment” because the amount from the sale is less than the amount owed.

Getting sick or losing your job will not stop a repossession unless you purchased disability or unemployment insurance on your loan. This may help in making payments and prevent losing your car.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?