My employer is not paying me for hours I worked including overtime. What can I do?

If you are paid by the hour (and not a set salary), you are generally entitled to at least Florida minimum wage for hours worked and to overtime pay if you work more than 40 hours in a week. You are generally not entitled to severance pay, sick leave, vacations, or holiday pay unless your employer provides these.

If you have not been paid wages, you can file a lawsuit in your Florida county – typically in small claims court – or hire a private lawyer to help get your money. You can find information on filing a lawsuit in small claims court by going to the Florida Courts website then click on “self help” link and then “small claims.” You can also go to the U.S. Department of Labor website click on the “topics” link then “wages” for more information.

The law in this area is detailed and frequently changing, so it would be wise to consult an experienced employment lawyer.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?