What are the differences between a durable power of attorney agent, a health care surrogate, and a guardian?

A durable power of attorney agent usually handles financial and legal matters (and in some cases, medical matters).

A health care surrogate can take care of health care decisions when needed.

A guardian usually makes most decisions for a ward that is incapacitated. The legal right to make decisions in certain (usually most) areas is taken away from the ward. This is done through a court process.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?