What can a landlord do if I get behind on rent?

Florida Law: A landlord must always give a written 3-Day Notice before filing an eviction (to remove a tenant) for not paying rent.

If you owe the rent amount in the Notice, you must pay -- or offer to pay -- the amount owed before the end of the three-day period. If you do not pay in the three-day period, you will likely lose the case without going to court.

If you pay in person, you must try to give the full amount to the landlord, in front of a witness. If the landlord refuses, you must deposit your rent (cash or money order) with the Clerk of Court. When you go to court, bring your witness.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?