What happens to my non-exempt property in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy? What if I want to keep it?

If you have any non-exempt property, the trustee (the person assigned to manage your bankruptcy) will decide whether it's worth selling. You may be able to negotiate to keep certain non-exempt property by giving up exempt property instead.

If you have a non-exempt, secured loan, you must give the property back, pay it off, or reaffirm the debt.

A secured loan is a loan in which the borrower pledges some asset as collateral, such as a car loan or mortgage loan.

To “reaffirm” means that you agree that you will still owe it after your bankruptcy case is over.

Are you a Hillsborough County renter having housing problems? Help is available!

The Hillsborough County Housing Stability Program provides Hillsborough tenants the knowledge, resources, and services to effectively, efficiently, and amicably solve their disputes with their landlords outside the court system.

Man on porch

The Legal Information Center is a free program to provide information to people who are representing themselves in Family Law cases in Hillsborough County. Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your case.

Legal Information Center

Apply for Services

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?