I am a veteran diagnosed with PTSD. Are there benefits available to me?
You may be able to get VA disability compensation benefits if you have symptoms related to a traumatic event (a “stressor”) or your experience with the stressor is related to the PTSD symptoms, and you meet all the requirements listed below:
- The stressor happened during your service, and
- You can’t function as well as you once could because of your symptoms, and
- A doctor has diagnosed you with PTSD
What does VA consider to be a traumatic event?
The VA considers any of these to be a traumatic event:
- You suffered a serious injury, personal or sexual trauma, or sexual violation, or
- You were threatened with injury, sexual assault, or death
You may want to consider finding someone to advocate on your behalf, depending on the complexity of your case. Check our resource guide for information on how to find a Veterans Service Organization (VSO). VSOs can collect and submit supporting documents for you at no charge. Or you can call a lawyer for help.