I received a letter from the IRS claiming I owe money and I have not received my refund.  What do I do?

It is important that you respond to any letter from the IRS. The consequences of not responding can be severe.

Letters from the IRS often provide a contact number located in the upper right-hand corner or at the bottom of the last page. Call the IRS if you disagree with the letter.

If you cannot pay the tax due, you may have options. The IRS website provides vital information.

Please visit the IRS website to read about the different payment options available like installment agreements, offers in compromise, and delaying collection in what is known as "currently not collectible status."

NOTE: Be careful not to search "IRS.com" or "IRS.net." These are not government websites, but may be run by for-profit businesses. You may also call the IRS at 800.829.1040.

Tax matters may be difficult to handle by yourself. You may contact Bay Area Legal to determine if you are eligible for our services.


Still have questions?

If you live or have a case in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Sarasota counties, we may be able to help.

How do I apply? Am I eligible?

Call (800) 625-2257

to apply for service.

Or complete our online application

and we will call you back.